Thursday, October 28, 2010

No Vampires Please, We're Hindu.

In honor of Halloween, which is, as it happens, the day after a rather (ahem) large birthday this year, I thought I would write about vampires.

Or maybe my blog topic is in honor of Edward Cullen, who I recently learned has sparkled his way into the hearts and minds and bookshelves of not just American YA readers, but, international ones.

Be frightened, folks. Be very frightened. Yup, it's true - those morose sparkly vegetarian vampires of Stephanie Meyers' invention have -- (gulp) -- globalized.

I was recently in India, a country where people who can read really like to read. Really, really, really like to read.  In my parents hometown of Kolkata (once Calcutta) the saying goes that even the cabbies can talk Marx and Dostoyevsky with you.  And seriously, I don't doubt it.

So it turns out that my 8year old voracious reader and his 17 year old cousin (who lives in Bengaluru, previously Bangalore) had a whole lot of MG and YA to talk about - opinions on Voldemort, Quiddich, Amy and Dan from the 39 Clues, Septimus Heap, Artemis Fowl, the latest Rick Riordan, the oldest Rick Riordan, when and if Rick Riordan will ever come to a. my son's school in the U.S. b. Bangalore... anyway, you get the drift. On a jaunt to the local (really well stocked) bookstore - I forget if it was an Oxford or a Crosswords - there were row upon row of American MG and YA authors with more than a few Brits thrown in - among them Anthony Horowitz and (a childhood fave of mine) Enid Blyton.  But, more than any other book, what striking black and sparkly cover assaulted my eyes?  Ya.  You guessed it. The Twilight books.

Ok, so Indian teens love Bella and Edward.  I get it, I do.  All that family togetherness (they live in a joint family after all).  All those issues of  personal honor. All that almost requited love (remember, Hindi movie heroes and heroines still don't kiss on the lips - although they do a whole lotta other suggestive things).  [Admittedly, there are a lot of folks saying that the series is a narrative about Mormonism: check out the argument here]

But I've got to admit, on seeing those books, my first reaction was to recall what my own mother once told me back when I was too scared to turn off the bedside light after reading Brahm Stoker's Dracula.  With a look of utter calm, she assured me, "Go to sleep.  We don't have to worry about vampires.  Haven't you seen the movies? They only eat Christians. Relax. We're Hindu."

I admit it, I'm paraphrasing. But my (PhD holding, not very religious) mother's comment has stayed with me these many years.  As a daughter of Indian immigrants, all the Western boogeymen I'd read about and watched in the movies were scary, yes, but also somehow removed from who I was.  What luck. I was (at least technically) Hindu, which apparently made my blood unappetizing to Count Dracky and his nosferatu chums.

Now obviously those of us living in the West, reading and watching vampire stuff aren't all Christians. (I freely admit, at the risk of embarassing myself in front of my academic colleagues - who I pray don't read this blog - that I am a Buffy, True Blood, and now - most shamefully of all - a Vampire Diaries addict) We are Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Jain, atheist, agnostic, and.. yes, Hindu.

Yet, clearly there's a cultural context to our sparkly (and not so sparkly) neighborhood bloodsuckers. All those crosses, for one. And the holy water.  And the coffins for goodness sake (clearly vampires, or zombies for that matter, don't come from cultures where they cremate the dead...imagine the complications therin!) Then there's the colonial/crusader read of vampire narratives.  I mean, if vampires are frightened off/rendered powerless by things like crosses and holy water, are they a representation of a non-Christian 'infidel'? In other words, is the vampire potentially Hindu himself?

As a non-vampire-ologist (yes, folks, there are entire academic fields dedicated to pop cultural and other narratives of vampires), I just did some highly unscientific research (Halleluiah for the google) into the notion of the Hindu vampire. What I found, I don't really buy. These websites (example here) seem to contend that cultural figures such as danav (demons), bhoot (ghosts), and rakshas (even worser demons) are, if not vampires, at least vampire-like in their status as un-dead beings, eaters of blood/flesh/bone marrow, and overall scary meanie-ness.

The contention that unsettles me even further is the notion that the tongue-waggling, skull-necklace wearing Ma Kali, the Hindu goddess in her most fearsome aspect, is also somehow vampire-like.  Ok, yes, there was a demon she was fighting who had the ability to reproduce himself thousandfold from every drop of his blood spilt on the ground. So she had to drink that blood, 'natch.  But that doesn't make Kali a cousin - even many times removed - of Dracula. Or, for that matter, of Edward Cullen. No, her identity is firmly culturally bound in South Asia, and to try and understand her outside of that context is absurd and incorrect.

In the end, I guess I'll have to just gracefully accept the fact that the symbol of the vampire is intriguing to folks of all nationalities - as culturally located as it is.  Yet, there's still a part of me that digs reminding myself (and eventually, my kids) that he's not necessarily a universal baddie.  He may have more marketing PR bucks behind his global appeal, but just like bhoot, danav or rakshas, the vampire is a fixedly cultural symbol informed by and constrained by certain narratives of Western Christianity.

 But wouldn't it be cool to see other cultural meanies elbowing Dracky (or zombies, or unicorns, or werewolves) for the spotlight? From Russian Baba Yaga to the Arabian Roc to the Indian petni, this Halloween, I think it's time for some global, egalitarian monstrosity...

(who are your favorite culturally specific monsters?)





 

27 comments:

  1. I am fond of the Penanggalan. Sparkling guts!

    The Marvel book Tomb of Dracula explored the Christiancentricity of vampires a tiny little bit. Or at least, acknowledges it, sort of. One of the supporting characters was Taj Nital - he was described as a Hindu, and thought.. at least once.. how silly it was that he had to use symbols of a religion he didn't take part in to subdue his (spoiler!) vampire son.

    Actually later a star of David is shown as having the same effect as a cross. I'm not sure where they meant to go with it all

    ReplyDelete
  2. OO just wikipedia-ed penanggalan - hanging down entrails that sprinkle like fireflies below a disembodied head. NICE! Thanks Claire! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course meant "sparkle" not "sprinkle" - now that would be odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cracking up over here about your mom's comment when you were a kid. Somehow I can see her sitting on the edge of your bed saying that (or something close) with a completely straight face... Makes me want a hug from her! :) (Although I'm a little distraught that you weren't afraid of Count D. getting to ME!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kari: hah! I have yet to get those Vampire Academy books you recommended. I was thinking of taking one on the plane with that "wet parted lip girl's face" cover was so cheesy I couldn't bear to read it publicly. What's with YA covers these days?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is an episode of the old 70s show Kolchak, The Night Stalker, that featured as it's "monster of the week" a rakshasa. The elderly Hindu rakshasa hunter is using swasticas to ward it off... which leads to some misunderstanding due to the rakshasa having holed up in a Jewish neighborhood.

    I doubt that the portrayal of the rakshasa was folklorically correct, but then Kolchak routinely got details like that wrong in order to make a more exciting or filmable plot. But it was a nice attempt to be more multicultural than you would normally expect from a show at that time. And the intercultural confusion over the meaning of the swastica was a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OO thanks for the rakshasa siting, silver chipmunk! Must look that up!
    thanks for visiting the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe. This was awesome. Gave me the chuckles. Especially your mom's sentence:

    "Go to sleep. We don't have to worry about vampires. Haven't you seen the movies? They only eat Christians. Relax. We're Hindu."

    That's what you call sheer brilliance ;)

    -BrownEyed

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks brown eyed! i know, sometimes - especially since i've become a parent - i'm amazed at how easy my own parents made it all look. that kind of a response on the fly? awesomeness personified...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the Vampires Lord on his Email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. DO YOU WISH TO BE A VAMPIRE OR YOU WANT POWERS AND PROTECTION COME AND BE AMONG THE VAMPIRES KINGDOM TODAY AND YOU GET WHAT EVER YOU DESIRE CONTACT LORD SHAKA AT ( lordshakavampirekingdom@gmail.com )
    Being a vampire has certain limitations, but it can also be a ton of fun. Your extra strengths and abilities can make you successful in almost every endeavor you participate in and before you know it the money and acquaintances will come streaming in. You can build wealth and gain prestige and notoriety and attempt things you may never have even considered as a human. One thing you will definitely have more of is time. Beef up your education and learn all you ever wanted to. Travel the world to see things most people only ever see on TV This is going to be especially fun if you turned to share your life with one of us. Let us show you the wonders of the world. Learn new languages, go skydiving or scuba dive with sharks, visit the African safari. You no longer need to be scared of nature or wildlife you will have become the worlds strongest predator. Have fun with it and your life as a vampire can be more fulfilling than you ever dreamed. Explore, experiment, experience and get excited. There’s a big world out there with lots to see and do and as a vampire, you can do it all, if willing and ever ready to be a full blooded vampire with powers and mighty great skills then these is the opportunity for you to get transformed and turned into a vampire, contact the mighty Lord Shaka and also he is a vampire lord, find him on his email and lay your request and heart wishes to him, trust me you will find him on;( lordshakavampirekingdom@gmail.com ).

    ReplyDelete


  13. Hi Guys

    i really have to tell this i never thought this is what would happen to me so at the beginning of my life i met somebody in email suddenly somebody wrote me





    I got on well with her and she is such a good person

    So I'm starting to tell, I've never thought to help me offer me and I never thought to make my dream come true
    she asks me to come to a power that I have always wished
    and she can help any person start a new life the person


    she is really a charitable person


    it will help you no matter what you want a vampire yours or something else




    This is her e-mail


    templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com


    I hope your dream comes true

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being a vampire has certain limitations, but it can also be a ton of fun. Your extra strengths and abilities can make you successful in almost every endeavor you participate in and before you know it the money and acquaintances will come streaming in. You can build wealth and gain prestige and notoriety and attempt things you may never have even considered as a human. One thing you will definitely have more of is time. Beef up your education and learn all you every wanted to. Travel the world to see things most people only ever see on TV This is going to be especially fun if you turned to share your life with one of us. Let us show you the wonders of the world. Learn new languages, go skydiving or scuba dive with sharks, visit the African safari. You no longer need to be scared of nature or wildlife – you will have become the worlds strongest predator. Have fun with it and your life as a vampire can be more fulfilling than you ever dreamed. Explore, experiment, experience and get excited. There’s a big world out there with lots to see and do and as a vampire, you can do it all. If your dream is to become a powerful person in life contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I turn to a vampire any time i want to. i become a vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a powerful woman and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded woman in my country. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire kingdom by given me their number. if you want to become a powerful vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom whatsApp at +1 4313007649 on their email worldofvampir@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Name is, Paula James from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you in need of Urgent Loan Here no collateral required all problem regarding Loan is solve between a short period of time and duration more than 20 years what are you waiting for apply now and solve your problem or start a business with Loan paying of various bills I think you have come to the right place just 2% interest rate. Contact Us Via.email: abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you want to become a vampire, are you tired of human being, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming a immortal. A world of vampire were life get easier, we have made so much persons vampires and have turned them rich, you will assured long life and prosperity, you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, stronger and also very fast, you will not be restricted to walk at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, this is an opportunity to have the vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on our e-mail vampireslords437@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you want to become a vampire, are you tired of human being, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming a immortal. A world of vampire were life get easier, we have made so much persons vampires and have turned them rich, you will assured long life and prosperity, you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, stronger and also very fast, you will not be restricted to walk at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, this is an opportunity to have the vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on our e-mail vampireslords437@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you want to become a vampire, are you tired of human being, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming a immortal. A world of vampire were life get easier, we have made so much persons vampires and have turned them rich, you will assured long life and prosperity, you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, stronger and also very fast, you will not be restricted to walk at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, this is an opportunity to have the vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on our e-mail vampireslords437@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. ello friends , I'm from New Jersey, I want to share my testimony on how I became an Original vampire. Yes, I always wanted to become a vampire because it has always been my desire to be one. And I search links and websites, I even took the risk and search on the dark web, and I find a link of that say's 'Become a newborn twilight vampire' that was pretty interesting right, I click on the link that redirects me to website which I got their email address. that moment in my life was like a dream come true, There I finally get to learn more about it as well, and it was all amazing to me. I contacted them and I get instant responses, I followed the terms. I gave a try and it really work out for me, today I'm a living testimony, Contact via email: vampirehome7@gmail.com  (Original Vampire) in a space of 3 days, A vampire blood will be sent to you via courier, gives a try and makes sure you don't forget to share your testimony too after a successful reborn to an original vampire.. thanks and good luck

    ReplyDelete


  23. Hi viewer

    We are professional traders, who earn weekly on forex and binary for investors, we will love to tell you all about our investment platform in which you can invest funds starting from $ 250 and start earning $ 3000 weekly, many people have benefited from this investment offered before and during this convid-19 virus, if you are experiencing financial difficulties due to this coronavirus and you need help paying your bills simply choose an investment plan suitable for yourself and start making profits

    $ 250 weekly to earn $3000 in 7 days
    $ 400 to earn $ 5,000 in 7 days
    $ 1000 to earn $ 10,000 in 7 days
    $ 2000 to earn $ 30,000 in 7 days
    $ 5000 to earn $ 50,000 in 7 days

    To start your
    WhatsApp investment immediately : +17657050044 or email: int.hackers002@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello my friends, I want you all to know that becoming a vampire is not ritual or spiritual, as all this imposter’s are saying here….Last year i was scam twice and i lost a lot of money, by all this imposter’s here…Thanks to Ghandourah Hasan who later make me vampire, which i later find out that becoming a vampire is not ritual or spiritual…You can contact Ghandourah Hasan for more info: ghandourahhasan1987@gmail.com and my name is charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello my friends, I want you all to know that becoming a vampire is not ritual or spiritual, as all this imposter’s are saying here….Last year i was scam twice and i lost a lot of money, by all this imposter’s here…Thanks to Ghandourah Hasan who later make me vampire, which i later find out that becoming a vampire is not ritual or spiritual…You can contact Ghandourah Hasan for more info: ghandourahhasan1987@gmail.com and my name is charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. EL PRÉSTAMO URGENTE ESTÁ DISPONIBLE AHORA

    HOY RECIBÍ LA CANTIDAD DE PRÉSTAMO DESEADA $760,000.00 DE UNA COMPAÑÍA DE PRÉSTAMOS CONFIABLE Y CONFIABLE LA SEMANA PASADA ¿NEGOCIO/HOGAR/EMPRESA/PROYECTO/PRÉSTAMO PERSONAL? AHORA SON ASEQUIBLES AQUÍ PARA USTED HOY CONTACTO Whatsapp +1(541)279-1406 Correo electrónico profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Hola, estoy aquí para testificar de cómo obtuve mi préstamo comercial de bienes raíces de PROF. MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS (profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com) No sé si necesita un préstamo urgente para pagar facturas, iniciar un negocio o construir una casa, ofrecen todo tipo de préstamos que van desde $5,000.00 hasta $2,000,000.00USD con una baja tasa de interés del 2% y la duración del préstamo de 1 a 33 años para devolver el préstamo seguro y no garantizado. ¿Está perdiendo el sueño por las noches preocupado por cómo obtener un prestamista de préstamo legítimo?
    MRS.DOROTHY JEAN tiene toda la información sobre cómo obtener dinero de forma rápida y sin dolor sin costo/estrés a través de Contactos Número de Whatsapp +1 (541) 279-1406 Correo electrónico profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. My Name is Kelly Williams from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete